The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

A Preview of 2024 in Film

A Preview of 2024 in Film

With the new year comes many new things to look forward to. What always gets me excited is the slew of new films that will be released in a given year. Despite a strong showing in 2023 with major films such as Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse, Asteroid City, Barbenheimer, The Super Mario Bros Movie and my personal favorite Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3, Hollywood was littered with problems. The SAG-AFTRA strike spelled major troubles for films that were both in production and films that were ready to be released but lacked a cast to promote it. We also saw multiple historical box office flops in 2023 such as The Flash, 65, And Indiana Jones and the Escape from Senior Living. With all of this being said, what can we expect from 2024? This year for me, looks to be a bit on the lighter side in terms of movies, but nonetheless, there are still many films I am excited for.

“Dune: Part 2” – March 1

While originally scheduled for 2023, Denis Villeneuve’s epic saga returns this March. When the first one released in the fall of 2021, I managed to see it via HBO MAX, which was a mistake. I ended up falling asleep during the last 20 minutes and I have yet to go back and revisit the film. Despite this, I absolutely loved the first film. The amazing cast and beautiful cinematography made it stand out among the typical hollywood sci-fi films. This film picks up right where the first film left off, With Paul (Timothée Chalamet) joining Chani (Zendaya) and the Freman and embarking on a quest to save his people and the universe. Joining the previous films’ cast is Austin Butler, Christopher Walken, and the always-great Florence Pugh, among others. Another exciting aspect of this film is that it will be released in IMAX 70mm formats, which was popularized by Oppenheimer (2023) director Christopher Nolan. This format is very hard to find ,though, as only 19 theaters in the US were able to support it during last summer’s release of Oppenheimer and even fewer are available for Dune as only 9 multiplexes are screening the IMAX 70mm print. I hope that this film will be successful financially in order to guarantee future projects such as a 3rd film based on Dune: Messiah and the “Dune: The Prophecy” T.V. Show.

“Kung Fu Panda 4”- March 8

Awesomeness returns with Kung Fu Panda 4, releasing this spring. The film sees Po on a quest to become the spiritual leader of the Valley of Peace and must find someone else to take the title of Dragon Warrior. When this film was announced, I was very excited as the series was meant to have a second trilogy after Kung Fu Panda 3, and this seems to still be the beginning of that trilogy and paving the way for a fifth and sixth movie. The first two films are amazing, and the third one is really fun! The trailer has me a bit mixed in my opinions. It’s cool to see a new location and the Chameleon, voiced by Viola Davis, looks to be a really interesting antagonist with her bringing back some of the franchise’s previous villains such as Tai Lung which I hope isn’t just for nostalgia. But the lack of the furious five is very noticeable, even if they are supposed to be in the film for a short bit, and the movie doesn’t seem to have the same witty humor of the first trilogy. Even with my conflicted opinions, I trust that the filmmakers know what they are doing and will make a good film.

“Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga” – May 24

Despite many production delays and studio feuds, Furiosa drives into theaters this Memorial Day. Mad Max: Fury Road was, in my opinion, one of the best films of the 2010s. The use of practical effects was stunning in a world where most directors would use CGI for what Director George Miller made, and the cool apocalyptic cars were so amazing to see on screen. However, one of the most notable performances of the film was Charlize Theron as Imperator Furiosa. 

Due to financial disputes after Fury Road’s release, Miller and company had left Warner Bros, which put Mad Max: The Wasteland (The sequel to Fury Road) in jeopardy. Since then, Miller has returned to Warner but has instead decided to wait to make a sequel. With this decision he has now gone forth with Furiosa, being a prequel and explaining how the titular character, now played by Anya Taylor Joy, ended up on Fury Road. The film seems to use much more CGI than practical effects, and while I love Joy, I think I would have preferred them to jump straight into a sequel with Theron. I am still very excited for this film since it is promised to be the biggest production ever shot in Australia, and it must be a success in order to guarantee that The Wasteland will be released.

“Inside Out 2” – June 14

Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, And Disgust are joined by brand new emotions as Riley turns 13 and navigates teenage life. Inside Out is one of my favorite movies of all time. When I first saw it, I left the theater crying, obviously, but I also was deeply reflecting on the film. On the car ride home I was thinking about what I had just watched on a more sophisticated level, and upon many rewatches, it still holds up. This movie can be credited for my passion for film and why I will, hopefully, pursue the business in some form after high school. In September 2022, the film’s sequel was officially revealed at the D23 Expo. This filled me with dread because, despite my love for the first one, I didn’t want a sequel in fear of it being bad, and felt that the first one worked as a perfect standalone picture. At that time, some information was revealed. The first was that Mindy Kaling and Bill Hader would not respectfully return as Disgust and Fear. This was disappointing because they were perfect casting and two major cast members not returning for the second made it seem cheaper. Also, director Pete Doctor would only be producing this time which was a major red flag. Secondly, the film was revealed to have new emotions. I did not like this, as the first one had established that everybody only had the five emotions and it felt as if they needed to give this film a gimmick in order to get butts in seats. As time passed and more information started to be revealed, I started to get curious about this film, and that curiosity slowly turned into excitement. Excitement to see these characters that are held so near and dear in my heart be on the big screen again and doing stuff. My issues with film still remain but you know what, Maya Hawke as Anxiety sure why not and Pixar sequels aren’t as bad as everyone says. I think Toy Story 2 through 4 are all fantastic films, Finding Dory is severely underrated in my opinion, and I had fun with Incredibles 2 and M.U.. Will this film leave me with the same impact as the first? Probably not. But it doesn’t have to. It could be the best thing since sliced bread or the worst Pixar movie ever, but no matter what I will be at this film on opening night. 

“Deadpool & Wolverine” – July 26

Because Disney purchased 20th Century Fox in 2019, Deadpool finally makes his way to the MCU this July, And he’s not coming alone. The MCU is in a very tricky spot right now. While once the king of Hollywood and praised for its interconnectedness, we are now seeing it financially stumble and become more disconnected. We are five movies and a few TV shows away from the next Avengers film, and we still don’t have an Avengers team lined up. Despite this being the multiverse saga, only three projects out of 25+ have been building it up. Among all this, a new Deadpool movie (commonly known as Deadpool 3) Is releasing this summer which sees Wade Wilson and Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine traveling the multiverse and joining the MCU. Little plot has been revealed, but trusted sources have said this film will feature Deadpool’s timeline being erased and the TVA (as seen in Loki) assembling a multiversal Avengers team to save the multiverse which would include Deadpool and Wolverine. That actually sounds really fun and could be an interesting way of tackling the multiverse in the MCU. I haven’t seen any of the Deadpool movies as the humor doesn’t seem like it’s my thing, and Ryan Reynolds isn’t one of my favorites, but, I am kind of excited to see Jackman return, despite 2017s Logan being his swan song. I am also interested if this will set up a brand new X-Men team made for the MCU and not just bring in the old ones from when Fox had the rights. Interestingly, Disney is placing all of its eggs in one basket with this being the only 2024 MCU film when there are commonly 3-4 per year. However, they will be up and running again in 2025 with Captain America: Brave New World, Thunderbolts, The Fantastic 4, and Blade All releasing, followed by Avengers 5 in 2026. This film could go either way, but I’ll still probably check it out.

“Beetlejuice Beetlejuice” – September 6

Tim Burton is back in the director’s chair with the long-awaited Beetlejuice Sequel releasing this September. Just recently, I watched the first Beetlejuice and can’t believe that it took me so long to see the film. The world that Tim Burton built was so fascinating with the sets of Neitherworld and the crazy design of multiple stop-motion creatures along with the twisted comedy was right up my alley. My only real complaint is that the titular character was barely in it. While this is a sequel that could go either way I just really want to see more of Michael Keaton’s Beetlejuice. With the second installment, we see the return of Keaton and Wynona Ryder’s Lydia who is joined by her daughter, played by Jenna Ortega. Not much is known about the plot, but from leaked set pictures, we can see some of the film will take place in the same town as the original and Willem Dafoe will join the film as Wolf Jackson; a Hollywood actor who died on set and became a detective in the afterlife. Another interesting fact about this film is that when filming over the summer was halted due to the strikes, props from the Vermont filming location were stolen, which led local authorities on a mad chase for a 150-pound abstract lamp post. Also, this film releases on my birthday, so that’s cool!

But That’s Not All!!!

While I may have only talked about a handful of films that I’m excited for, below is a list of major films that will be released this year with the exact release dates. (All Dates are as of February 28th) (Non-Festival Release means films that premiered at a film festival in 2023 but are getting wide releases this year)

(Select Streaming films will be mention if they are made by major studios)

Night Swim – January 5   

He Went That Way – January 5 (Non-Festival Release)

Mean Girls (2024)  – January 12

The Beekeeper – January 12

The Book of Clarence – January 12

Soul (2020) – January 12 (Theatrical Release)

Role Play – January 12 (Amazon)

Lift – January 12 (Netflix)

Self Reliance – January 12 (Hulu) (Non-Festival Release)

Origin – January 19 (Theatrical Release)

I.S.S. – January 19

Sunrise – January 19

Cult Killer – January 19

Wanted Man – January 19

Beautiful Wedding- January 24

Miller’s Girl – January 26

Sometimes I Think About Dying – January 26 (Non-Festival Release)

The Underdoggs – January 26 (Amazon)

Argyle – February 2

Orion and the Dark – February 2 (Netflix) 

The Tiger’s Apprentice – February 2 (Paramount+)

Scrambled – February 2 (Non-Festival Release)

Lisa Frankenstein – February 9

Lola James – February 9

Marmalade – February 9

Turning Red (2022) – February 9 (Theatrical Release)

Out of Darkness – February 9 (Non-Festival Release)

Upgraded – February 9 (Amazon)

Bob Marley: One Love – February 14

Madame Web – February 14

Land of Bad – February 16

Lights Out – February 16

Bleeding Love – February 16 (Non-Festival Release)

Drive-Away Dolls – February 23

Ordinary Angels – February 23

Dune: Part 2 – March 1

Spaceman – March 1 (Netflix)

Ricky Stanicky – March 7 (Amazon)

The Thundermans Return – March 7 (Paramount+)

Kung Fu Panda 4 – March 8

Imaginary – March 8

Cabrini – March 8

Damsel – March 8 (Netflix)

Love Lies Bleeding – March 15

Knox Goes Away – March 15 (Non-Festival Release)

Arthur the King – March 15

Irish Wish – March 15 (Netflix)

Road House (2024) – March 21 (Amazon)

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire – March 22

Immaculate – March 22

Problemista – March 22 (Non-Festival Release)

Luca (2021) – March 22 (Theatrical Release) 

The Casagrandes Movie – March 22 (Netflix)

Shirley – March 22 (Netflix)

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire – March 29

Música – April 4 (Amazon) 

The First Omen – April 5

Monkey Man – April 5 

City of Dreams – April 5 (Non-Festival Release)

Housekeeping for Beginners – April 5  (Non-Festival Release)

Civil War – April 12

Sasquatch Sunset – April 12 (Non-Festival Release)

Don’t Tell Mom the Babysitter’s Dead (2024) – April 12

Woody Woodpecker Goes to Camp – April 12 (Netflix)
Abigail – April 19

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare – April 19

We Grown Now – April 19 (Non-Festival Release)

Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver – April 19 (Netflix)

Challengers – April 26

Unsung Hero – April 26

Boy Kills World – April 26 (Non-Festival Release)

The Idea of You – May 2 (Amazon)

The Fall Guy – May 3

I Saw the TV Glow -May 3 (Non-Festival Release)

Unfrosted: The Pop-Tart Story – May 3 (Netflix)

Mother of the Bride – May 9 (Netflix)

Horrorscope – May 10

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes – May 10

My Ex-Friend’s Wedding – May 10

I.F. – May 17

The Strangers: Chapter 1 – May 17

Back To Black – May 17

Thelma the Unicorn – May 17 (Netflix)

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga – May 24

The Garfield Movie – May 24

Sight – May 24

Young Woman and the Sea – May 31

Bad Boys 4 – June 7

The Crow (2024) – June 7

The Watchers – June 7

Hit Man – June 7 (Netflix) (Non-Festival Release)

Inside Out 2 – June 14

Ultraman: Rising – June 14 (Netflix)

The Bikeriders – June 21 (Non-Festival Release)

It Ends With Us – June 21

Horizon: An American Saga – Part 1 – June 28

A Quiet Place: Day One – June 28

Despicable Me 4 – July 3

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F – July 3 (Netflix)

American Dream: The 21 Savage Story – 4th of July

MaXXXine – July 5

Project Artemis – July 12

Touch – July 12

Longlegs – July 12

Twisters – July 19

Deadpool & Wolverine – July 26

Dìdi – July 26 (Non-Festival Release)

Harold and the Purple Crayon – August 2

Trap – August 2

Borderlands – August 9

Flint Strong – August 9

Alien: Romulus – August 16

Horizon: An American Saga – Part 2 – August 16

Kraven the Hunter – August 30

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice – September 6

Transformers One – September 13

Speak No Evil – September 13

The Wild Robot – September 20

Wolfs – September 20

Saw XI – September 27

Joker: Folie à Deux – October 4

White Bird – October 4 (Non-Festival Release)

Smile 2 – October 18

Terrifier 3 – October 25

Wolf Man – October 25

Paddington in Peru – November 8

The Amateur – November 8

Venom 3 – November 8

Alto Knights – November 15

Red One – November 15

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever – November 15

Gladiator 2 – November 22

Wicked (Part 1) – November 27

Moana 2 – November 27

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim – December 13

Karate Kid – December 13

Mufasa: The Lion King – December 20 

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 – December 20

Nosferatu (2024) – Christmas Day

A Different Man – TBD 2024 (Non-Festival Release)

A Real Pain – TBD 2024 (Non-Festival Release)

Atlas – TBD 2024 (Netflix)

Coyote Vs. Acme – TBD 2024

Eden – TBD 2024

Fancy Dance – TBD 2024

Janet Planet – TBD 2024 (Non-Festival Release)

Lilo & Stitch (2024) – TBD 2024 (Disney+)

Megalopolis – TBD 2024

Saving Bikini Bottom: The Sandy Cheeks Movie – TBD 2024 (Netflix)

Sing Sing – TBD 2024 (Non-Festival Release)

Spellbound – TBD 2024 (Netflix)

The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie – TBD 2024

The Strangers: Chapter 2 – TBD 2024

The Strangers: Chapter 3 – TBD 2024

Tuesday – TBD 2024 (Non-Festival Release)

Uglies – TBD 2024 (Netflix)

Untitled Wallace & Gromit Film – TBD 2024

We Live in Time – TBD 2024

Y2K – TBD 2024 (Non-Festival Release)