The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

The Skincare Craze of 2023-2024: A Materialistic Money Grabber

“Skincare” is no longer a term used to describe self-care. It’s an excuse to purchase more products and to buy into the marketing companies’ schemes.

While skin treatments once were a practice perfect for taking care of oneself, this is no longer the case. For the entirety of a year, skincare has taken hold of stores and social media alike, bombarding for attention. Many factors go into the success of these companies… and the downfall of our wallets. 

As humans, we are nothing short of materialistic. No matter our lifestyles, we all yearn for the next best thing. From 2023-2024, the average American spent $322.88 on skincare products alone, according to Refined MD. As new products continue to be released, the number is almost guaranteed to increase in 2024. 

Visual appeals have been utilized ever since the beginning of advertisement. Corporations lure customers in with elements including color, graphics, and placement. Skincare items are no exception to this, and shamelessly make use of our susceptible minds. 

The most successful skin treatment companies succeed due to their eye-catching packaging. Using vibrant colors entices consumers into making purchases they might not have made otherwise. Companies such as Drunk Elephant and Byoma lure people in with these visual aspects. Compared to regular drugstore products, these fancy coverings are seen as much more beneficial.

Self-care brands reach out to a surplus of well-known online creators to rave about their newest products. Influencers strategically position different items (most of which had been sponsored) in their videos, masked by titles such as “Skincare Routine” vlogs or “Selfcare Restock” clips. Witnessing heavily branded products makes us more inclined to test them, under the guise that if a highly reputable individual utilizes them, we will enjoy it too. 

Collecting things is in our blood. Even the most minimalist person has a few items they like to gather. When a beloved brand introduces another element, we are more likely to use our purchasing power. The sense of familiarity and trust we have in these lines are healthy, but can get in the way of shopping with your head. People are never satisfied with shopping for collectibles (of any kind.) When purchasing any item, we get a wave of temporary satisfaction. The itch to gain new things eases up. However, as people begin to buy more and more items, the itch will grow equally worse. 

Skin treatments have successfully taken over our society and will continue to be prominent for years. As long as people have access to their wallets, companies will continue to lure consumers in with promises of “anti-aging” and “clear skin.” Skincare is no longer a sister to self-care. It is yet another crutch to pocket people’s cash.