Managing School Life and Work Life

By Phoebe Smith

Lake Highlands High School students are juggling not only school but jobs, as well. Schedules filled with long working hours overflow every moment of their lives. They’re learning to manage their time to attend school and work without much overlap. It can be hard to navigate life with such responsibilities, but it seems worth it. After all, isn’t money always the dream?

Caremy Ledezma previously worked at SOCO cafe for sixteen hours a week.

“I try to manage school and work as best as possible,” Caremy Ledezma, junior, mentioned. They urge students to get all assignments done during the school week to lessen the stress of it all. “Doing your work when you first get it is easier while it’s fresh on your mind, and you don’t have to stay up until three in the morning to do homework,” Caremy recalled. 

Sometimes with so much on your plate, it can be easy to be blinded by the prospect of earning money. However, being a student comes first. 

Leah Stewart works at Target for around twelve hours a week and is very clearly differentiates 

school as a priority.

“I prioritize my school work. This is a part-time job I’m working at, and it’s not what I will do in the future. My grades and school will get me to the job I want,” Stewart brings up. 

Work is demanding for many. Long, grueling hours pile up, and constantly having to decline plans to struggle between education and work expectations is enough to stress anyone out. 

“The hardest thing about working as a student is your limit to things you can do outside of school. I can’t hang out with friends as much due to my work schedule, and I can’t do school activities that require meetings every other day,” Ledezma stressed.

As you can imagine, having a job while attending high school is no easy feat. For many, it takes away from the high school experience and keeps students from building connections with those around them. 

“If you need the money, I’d say go for it, but honestly, try to hold off on getting a job,” Caremy advised. “It may seem fun, but it’s nice not having to worry about two things at once and simply enjoying high school. Then you’ll have time to join school clubs and meet other people with your same interests.”