The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

Lady Wildcats Volleyball Dives Into Playoffs

Erin Congrove

This year’s Lake Highlands Lady Wildcats’ Varsity Volleyball team made it to the third round of playoffs. The team has put in an immense amount of hard work to make it further than the team has gone in the last eight years.

“Not only did we make it to the third round of playoffs, but we also beat the No. 1 team in the state, which I will remember forever. On top of that, that was the first time I had seen us all play our best but also have fun,” Haley Pokorski (Co-Captain), 12, said.

Brynn Winburne, another senior (and co-captain) on the Varsity Lady Wildcats, noted that she has become closer with this team than any other she’s been on at Lake Highlands.

“We all got along well, and there was never any drama, and I feel like that greatly contributed to our success in the playoffs. We were a team both on and off the court,” Winburne commented.

Coach Anastasia Hallam mentioned that the team dynamic is a special one. Everyone on the varsity team gets along and loves each other.

“There was zero drama on the team, which is hard to come by. The seniors did a really great job of welcoming everyone and serving their teammates, and I think that had a huge ripple effect for this team,” Hallam noted. “The team has fun together and has great fight.”

Pokorski said the coaches pushed the team to do their very best. They believed in the team and their abilities, and the team set the hard work to stone in the second round of playoffs.

“Not only that, but this year’s team was extremely close,” Pokorski added. “We would always hang out outside of school, and during our team breakfasts/dinners, we would all sit and talk/laugh about random things. This was the best group of girls to spend my last season with.”

Winburne also noted that she loved eating out with the team after their games.

“My favorite part about playing for Lake Highlands is by far the people. The program has such a positive atmosphere, and we are all good friends,” Winburne addressed.

According to Hallam, everyone on the team had consistently been coming into practice with a strong focus and work ethic.

“There was just this feeling in practices leading up to it and even before the match started that we were going to win. Everyone on the team and the coaching staff believed we could, and we did. We didn’t care that [they] were No. 1 in the state,” Hallam said. “We knew they were beatable and we proved it.”

This season, the coaches implemented a theme known as SHRED, which stands for Selfless, Hard Work, Respect, Excellence, and Discipline. The daily motivation from the coaches made a big impact on the team which paid off in the second round of playoffs.

“I think our focus on bringing energy into the gym and our pursuit of the ball made a huge difference to get to the third round. It was something we were wrestling with most of the season, and in the McKinney Boyd game, it just all came together,” Hallam commented.

Coach Hallam did note that if there was one thing she could change about the season, it would be the type of belief the players had in themselves earlier on. Those things take time, but she’s proud of the team believing in themselves and their teammates.

“My team has always pushed me to do my best, believed in me, and helped me accomplish my goals,” Pokorski said. “They have shown me what good teammates look like and that having people who believe in you can help you grow and perform at your best.”

The team is certainly a tight knit group of girls who put their all into their relationships as well as on the court. Winburne added that they push her out of her comfort zone and hold her accountable.

“[Winning] was one of the best feelings, and I got to experience that with some of the best people. We proved to ourselves and others that working hard and staying disciplined can win a game no matter who you are and what you are ranked,” Pokorski mentioned.

Pokorski highly recommends students to join an organization whether that is a sport or a club, because it can bring you the best people who will support you. There are remarkable memories waiting to be made.

“I am incredibly proud of this team and what they accomplished. They believed in themselves and showed people that through belief and hard work, anything is possible,” Hallam concluded.