The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

Has Black Friday Finally Lost Its Appeal?

As Black Friday takes its final bow, it is clear that these deals were not as good as other years. Most sales brawling for attention advertised “bargains” consisting of “Buy One Get One” (BOGO), while others were 50% to 20% off. Gone are the days of waking up at dawn to get your holiday shopping on; you can get everything done at a snail’s pace. After all, these are not the kinds of sales we are used to. Most deals during Black Friday were offers seen throughout the year, and nothing was exceptionally marked down. Why waste any energy when you can get these sales anytime? 

The most heartbreaking deal, or lack thereof, was Barnes and Noble’s “Buy One Get One 50%” sale. Instead of seeing discounted books galore, I noticed the exact opposite. Let me be the first to say this offer is not worthy of Black Friday. BOGO 50% is already offered throughout the year for specific books. The only apparent difference between Black Friday and the rest of the year is that all the books followed the deal. Not very reader-friendly, Barnes and Noble.

As I mentioned before, it is crucial to note the timeframe when Black Friday occurs. Deals that used to be reserved for November 24th are now stretched out for the entirety of November and even a little afterward, such as Cyber Monday. There is little purpose in going to stores on Black Friday. Chances are, you have already bought everything you needed before this “holiday.” The annual shopping day has become more of a “travel day.” Based on a study by Spectrum News, the Fridays after Thanksgiving and Sundays are the biggest travel days. If you are crammed in a stuffy automobile, there is little time to do your shopping.

Admittedly, Black Friday shopping is easier now than ever, especially with the increase in online purchasing trends. Fights are no longer breaking out over the last gadget or the newest household appliance. We may have finally learned how to be civilized and know better than to wreak havoc when something does not go our way. However, people do not have a reason to find themselves in these situations, especially when sales have deteriorated.

Instead of spending our day in a cramped mall, looking at pointless sales, we should spend this unofficial holiday with loved ones. Thanksgiving is the time for togetherness, and this prospect should extend to the days after. Though getting deals on merchandise is enticing, quality times are even more critical. Next year, try to be with those in your life rather than rows of ridiculous price tags.