The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

Interview with LHHS’s 2023-2024 valedictorian and salutatorian

Connor+Whitmire+
Connor Whitmire

Lake Highlands High School proudly announced its 2023-2024 senior Valedictorian and Salutatorian. Connor Whitmire (valedictorian) and Olivia Bowlin (salutatorian) both placed at the top of the senior class. 

The top ten were followed by Kate Smith, Chinwendu Ugokwe, Parker Brizzolara, Georgia Fairbanks, Adora Ho, Julian Villamer Robbins, Linley Denslow, and Annabelle Deason.

Both Whitmire and Bowlin have strived hard throughout their high school career. Each party is involved in many extracurricular activities at Lake Highlands High School, and have without a doubt left a mark on LHHS. 

Whitmire and Bowlin answered several questions about their experiences at Lake Highlands High School, as well as the honor of becoming the 2023-2024 Valedictorian and Salutatorian. 

Connor Whitmire: Valedictorian

Whitmire has committed to the University of Texas. He plans on majoring in Government and Political Science through the Plan ll honors program  before attending law school to pursue his dreams of becoming a lawyer. Throughout his high school years, he has been involved in football, leading as a National Honor Society (NHS) officer, and serving as a 2024 Class Officer. Whitmire was also nominated for the Senior Class Favorite at LHHS.

1. Q)  How do you feel about becoming the schools’ Valedictorian

“I was amazed and couldn’t believe it! I remembered all those long nights I spent working on all my assignments and was really glad that it paid off. Both my parents went to Lake Highlands, so I know how much it means to be the Valedictorian at Lake Highlands High School.” 

1. Q) What does it take to become a Valedictorian at Lake Highlands High School?
  2. A) It takes a lot of commitment, but also balance. I played football in addition to taking many AP classes and I feel that helped give me a nice balance. Football gave me an escape from the pressure of school work. Academics is the most important thing, but I highly encourage everyone to find some sort of extracurricular activity to balance out the stress that academics can bring.”

1. Q) Is there anything you would like to say to students at Lake Highlands High School aspiring to be Valedictorian? 
  2. A) “  I would tell them that it is possible. I was never in the Gifted or Talented (GT) program and I’ll be the first to tell you that I’m not the smartest in my class. What separated me was that I was willing to put in extra effort and I took as many AP classes as I could. It might be a little scary taking a lot of AP classes, but trust me when I say that there are so many sources of help, i.e. your teacher, your classmates, and there are even some Web sites out there tailored to the AP curriculum.  Taking all of those AP classes is what I think propelled me to become the Valedictorian. However, my main advice is: don’t feel that you have to become the Valedictorian or you’ll let everyone down. Leading up to me being named Valedictorian, there were so many people encouraging me to be the Valedictorian. I felt like I’d be a failure if I didn’t live up to their expectations. Now, I realize that those who truly care for you will love you no matter where you graduate.”

1. Q) What has been your favorite LHHS memory so far?
  2. A) “Beating Highland Park in football was pretty special to me. There was so much emotion and there’s so many things I’ll never forget. I’ll always remember Miron’s opening touchdown, having to endure the rain delays, and coming back that Saturday to finish the job. It was so great seeing the community rally around us and being able to deliver a victory was really sweet.”

Olivia Bowlin: Salutatorian

Bowlin is committed to Baylor University where she will be studying business and pre-medicine. At LHHS, Bowlin had been involved in numerous student organizations such as Girls Service League (GSL), the Highlandettes, and NHS. These clubs has allowed Bowlin to find a community where she is able to show her talents and passion with other club members. 

1. Q) How do you feel about becoming the schools’ Salutatorian?
  2. A) I am incredibly honored and humbled to have the opportunity to be able to represent our class in a positive light. Receiving this recognition was an incredibly special and proud moment for me, as it symbolized the culmination of years of dedication and hard work invested in my high school education.”

1. Q) What does it take to become a Salutatorian at Lake Highlands HIgh School?
  2. A) “ Being Salutatorian requires a mindset of always striving to go above and beyond. I have learned the importance of hard work, staying dedicated, and making academics a priority. While it is not always easy,  I’ve discovered that embracing persistence and determination has been the driving force behind my success.”

1. Q) Is there anything you would like to say to students at Lake Highlands High School aspiring to be Salutatorian? 
  2. A) “To any student striving to become Valedictorian or Salutatorian: Remember, it’s not just about the title or the workload. Enjoy every moment of your high school journey while being prepared to put in the effort. Personally, I never imagined I’d become Salutatorian, but by balancing hard work with embracing the special moments of high school, the achievement became even more fulfilling. So, keep a strong work ethic, but don’t forget to savor the unique experiences that make high school unforgettable.”

2. A) “My favorite LHHS memory has been the senior night football game against Pearce this past football season. As a Highlandette, it was such a sweet experience getting to spend the last game in the Boneyard with my friends, cheering on the football team and walking on the field.”

1. Q) Is there anything else you would like to mention?
  2. A) “I have loved my time at Lake Highlands High School. My teachers have challenged me, supported and taught me so much – academically and beyond. Beyond just academics, Lake Highlands is so unique in that it offers so many activities for such a diverse group of people. I am lucky to have had the opportunity to be involved in the Highlandettes, Girls Service League, NHS and more where I get to find community and do the things I love to do. Lake Highlands is such a special place and I am forever grateful for the encouragement and support extended to me through my incredible teachers, peers and the community.” 

Olivia Bowlin