The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

A Plague of Senioritis

A Plague of Senioritis

Senioritis is the slump that plagues most seniors as the course of their high school career comes to an end. This usually occurs when they have already been accepted into college or trade school and going to their classes seems kind of pointless. 

They’re in the stage where they’re practically done and just have to finish off their classes to graduate. This almost done part of the year causes a lack of motivation and we often see a major decline in attendance from seniors because of this. 

Lake Highlands High School’s very own students have some words to say on their own encounters with the plague that is senioritis. 

Alexander Pech Rivas:

“I feel as if I’m Dante from Dante’s Inferno saying, ‘For where the instrument of intelligence is added to brute power and evil will, humanity is powerless in its own defense.’”

Kylee Chambers:

“It’s stressful because they put everything on you at the last minute and everything has become more real so don’t fall behind.”

Amory Moore:

“Having burnout during senior year is very demotivating. It’s kind of like, I’m already admitted to a college, so all I have to do is pass my classes. There’s just a lack of motivation on wanting to do your work because you’re so near the end. There’s only two months of school left, and when your grades are good and there’s the promise of not having to take a final exam, you’re not motivated to keep up your grades anymore.” 

Mercy Adedokun:

“Once you miss a day because you didn’t feel like it́, it really goes downhill from there. It starts with ok, I missed today, I can’t miss all of tomorrow, so I’ll just go to first period really late, and thanks to the Gods I barely have any classes. On A Days, I have three classes and on B days, I have two classes; so I really am barely here. And I still manage to miss school. I also think being in the same school/ building also plays a big part in it. Doing the same routine everyday for the last four years gets really tiring.”

Kennedi Sneed-

“Senior year to me is extremely demanding and taxing on the mental health of seniors because we have the expectation to know which college we want to go to, to know what career we want to pursue, but also try and pass all of your classes and have a certain percentage in order to graduate. Trying to balance school, work and a social life is very hard as a senior because you have certain expectations from all of these aspects and towards the middle to end of the year it can all be draining when you really sit back and think about it and that’s when graduation is around the corner. It’s when your considered as an adult and thrusted into ´the real world´ which all can seem very scary and just makes you want to give up.¨

Although the feeling of senioritis can be tiresome, the road is coming to its end. 

LHHS Class of 2024 will be graduating May 25th and their lives will begin a whole new exciting journey into adulthood.