The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

A Wildcat to a Lion: Miron Magee Commits to Columbia University

Miron Magee, a household name, is a senior at Lake Highlands High School. He has recently verbally committed to Columbia University in New York City to play football.

Magee first started playing football his sophomore year of high school. He was originally pretty scared of the sport due to its immense physicality and the possibility of life-changing injuries.

“Coach Stewart saw something in me the first day he saw me running sprints during an early morning Freshman B-Team basketball practice,” Magee mentioned. “[He] told me I could take it far and I believed every word he was telling me and look at me now, going to college to play football and to get my nursing degree.”

Magee stands out as one of the fastest players on the team which is one of the many reasons he appealed to Columbia.

While the average 40-yard-dash time is 4.48 seconds, Magee impressively places his time at 4.35 seconds. Opposing players certainly don’t want to be up against him, racing into the endzone.

Magee and his mom toured Columbia in July of 2023 and he instantly loved it. He then verbally committed to The Lions on September 1, 2023. He is most excited about having the opportunity to take care of his family for life, while playing football in one of the greatest cities in the world!

At Columbia, he plans to major in nursing and work his way up in the ranks to be a nurse practitioner or doctor.

“I’m ready to take on the challenge academically and athletically,” Magee mentioned in response to any worries about attending Columbia.

Magee mentioned that his biggest role model (besides his mother) is Russell Westbrook, the point guard for the Los Angeles Clippers.

“Just the way he attacks everything he does with passion and his physicality night in and night out. He does this while constantly getting criticized by the world but doesn’t let it bother him, and I love that. I model everything I do to be just like him every chance I get,” Magee said.

In response to what has most paid off for Magee in getting to this point, he responded, “Consistently and confidently wanting more out of my life for myself, and my ability to bring others up and motivate the youth and others around me to be great and passionate like me!”

As a wide receiver and cornerback for The Wildcats, Magee is an inspiration for other players both on and off the field.

“Miron is an exceptional student and athlete! When you excel at both, the opportunities are endless,” Cory Campbell, the varsity football team’s coach, said. “Other players look up to Miron and raise their level of play on and off the field.”

Campbell added that Miron is very goal oriented and he understands the opportunity that Columbia can provide for his future.

“My favorite thing about Miron is how hard he has worked to get to this point… I’m excited to see what his future holds,” Campbell concluded.