The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

Our Winter Break Starts Far Too Late

Three days. Three days of Winter Break before Christmas. This is completely unlike our typical Winter Break, and many students find it atrocious.

I, for the most part, completely agree with them. We need properly allocated time in order to build gingerbread houses, drink hot chocolate, soak in our Christmas decorations, wear ugly sweaters, see Christmas lights, wrap presents, watch Elf, spend sweet time with friends and family, and listen to the superb Christmas albums of Mariah Carey, Pentatonix, and Michael Buble.

Yes, winter break is intended to divide the school year into two semesters while giving students an academic break, but its other goal is to give students time to celebrate both Christmas and New Year’s (for those who may observe them).

I know no one who asked for or needs an entire week off school after New Year’s. Yes, the time off is nice and useful for teachers, but seven days is unnecessary.

Principal Kerri Jones, on the other hand, is excited about the break.

“I love it. I love having the Friday before off. I also like having more time after New Year’s. People I’ve talked to are excited about that.”

For those who are curious, Jones explained that there is a calendar committee for RISD that tries to find the best possible calendar for the school year, create two options, and then sends it out for input.

Despite what you think about the break, we get the Friday before Christmas until a week after New Years off of school which is plenty of time for us all to enjoy the most wonderful time of the year.