The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

Swimming Into Musical Season: LHHS Puts on ‘The Little Mermaid’

Every January, Lake Highlands High School puts on a musical on behalf of the school’s theatre department, joined by other teams like the Varsity Cheerleaders, Folklorico, Highlandettes, and Ruby Reds. This year’s musical features original characters from down under in Atlantica. It’s the one and only, “The Little Mermaid.”

The original animated film starring Jodi Benson, Pat Carroll, and Samuel E. Wright debuted in 1989. For anyone that isn’t familiar with the plot, the movie portrays a mermaid who wishes to live out of water (with legs), and she must escape her six envious sisters and an overbearing father, capturing the journey of her sacrifices to find true love.

As an imaginably difficult musical for cast members, considering that the setting is underwater, the technicalities were a big consideration for the directors when deciding on “The Little Mermaid.”

“I would say this year’s musical is more difficult than previous years because of the set and the concept of the show,” Audrey Galloway, 12, mentioned.

Billie White, 11, commented that he feels as though the choreography is around the same as last year’s musical. However, the scenery and lights are more complex, but coincidingly, beautiful.

“This year’s musical is one of the more difficult shows I have ever been in. For example, the setting and character development is more difficult for me in this show. Due to the fact that the show is almost constantly set in the ocean, everyone is swimming and pretending to not have legs most of the show,” Annabel Davidson, 12, said.

Nick Warden, 12, addressed the intricate tech elements that are more difficult to handle, but they bring the magic of the show to life. Warden noted that the music is more complicated and orchestral, unlike last year’s musical, “Mamma Mia!” which was accompanied by ABBA’s rock music.

“I had a feeling that this year’s musical would be ‘The Little Mermaid’ due to some hints that were dropped by our previous director and current directors,” Davidson addressed. “I was personally hoping the show would be ‘Legally Blonde’ because I would have loved an opportunity to play Elle Woods. However, this show is just as fun and exciting, and I’m so grateful to be in it!”

Galloway’s favorite song to perform is “Under the Sea” because it has such a good vibe to it. In contrast, Davidson’s favorite song to perform is “Wildest Dreams.”

“It’s my favorite from the soundtrack, and I love the blocking that was created for it, too. Ariel is so bubbly and excited in this scene, so I truly feel like a Disney Princess,” Davidson mentioned.

When speculation of the 2024 Lake Highlands musical came around, there was an overwhelming expectation of putting on ‘The Little Mermaid.’ But, regardless of the particular show, the theatre department has a special and tight-knit bond that has followed them all throughout high school.

“I have met some of my best friends in this department, and I feel so supported by everyone in each production,” Davidson said. “I have always loved performing from a young age, and I have always felt comfortable singing on stage. Joining the theatre department has been one of the best things I have done in high school!”

Galloway also added that her favorite thing about being in theatre is getting to create a place where you can be yourself and have fun.

“My favorite part about theatre is easily the community. I’ve met so many incredible people over the years and I’m just so beyond excited to see them grow and accomplish their many wonderful goals,” White noted.

White also noted that this year’s seniors in theatre have set an amazing standard for the lower classmen. He can’t ask for a better upcoming class.

“My favorite part about theatre is acting with my friends and putting my work on the stage and being proud of my accomplishments,” Warden noted. “I remember having so much fun in ‘Mamma Mia!’ with the Highlandettes in the front row for ‘SOS’ and ‘Knowing Me, Knowing You.’”

No matter what part of the department, and no matter the role someone is playing, there is always the potential to have fun and find another part of yourself in the theater.

“I’m so grateful for this show, this department, and everyone that makes Lake Highlands Theatre so special,” Davidson added.

Warden concluded that he’s super excited for his final musical at LHHS because he’s made so many memories, and he wants to go out with a bang!

See ‘The Little Mermaid’ in the L-Auditorium on Jan 25-27 @ 7 p.m. and Jan 28 @ 2 p.m., and get tickets here!