The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

A Love Letter to The Fang

My name is Phoebe Smith and in the fall I will be attending Stephen F. Austin to study Journalism. (Go Lumberjacks!) I’ve had the privilege of being the Managing Editor for the Lake Highlands High School’s newspaper: The Fang; A class I could blab about for hours. Chances are, you’ve glimpsed me in the power of the hallway walking to class with a surly expression on my face. (I promise I’m not that scary.) You might’ve run into me at my home away from home, Resident Taqueria, trying to make money to catch up with my book-buying habits. Maybe you have no idea who this weirdo is yapping at you right now, and that’s okay too.

If you were to ask me, if I wanted to repeat my high school years all over again, I probably would’ve never talked to you ever again. It’s safe to say that high school has not been what the countless coming-of-age books have promised me. I didn’t end up having any main-character moments or dance battles with anyone who irked me. No one even took off my glasses to realize my beauty. (The Princess Diaries did a number on me.) Instead, I had to deal with people dragging their feet in the hallways or trying to seem like I wasn’t winded from walking up three flights of stairs every morning. (Thank you, H-Building third floor. I will always resent you.) 

Lake Highlands High School has seen me through the worst months of my life, but also the best. It’s been a space where I could flourish into the person I am today: less afraid to be myself but still pretty awkward. (I will never be able to ditch that side of me, I fear.) Although I’m crestfallen to depart from my friends and teachers, I’m ecstatic for my future. It’s a bittersweet ending to what’s been a long four years.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed serving as Managing Editor for The Fang. Little Phoebe would be squealing with excitement if she knew everything I’d achieved with the guidance of this class. Making it onto Lake Highlands Advocate twice only adds to her dreams, and I can say with confidence that I’m making her proud. 

I stepped into Lake Highlands High School amid a global pandemic. Freshman Phoebe was exceptionally timid and had no idea what she wanted to do with her life. I’ve changed a lot over the years, hopefully for the better. Leaving high school for the final time, I am content with all I have accomplished.

I could not have made it through this year without the unconditional support of my Fang family. Thank you, Amory, for being the best Editor-in-chief a girl could ask for. Talking to you has always been so special to me and I hope Mizzou treats you well. Thank you, Hayden, for always putting a smile on my face with your contagious laughter. (Fixing my god-awful hair parting is also appreciated.) Cheers, Audrey, you’re such a genuine person who always knows how to hype me up whenever I’m not feeling my hair. Many thanks, Logan, for cracking me up with all your witty comebacks and comments that I can only dream of coming up with myself. I appreciate all the others on the newspaper staff who continue to run things smoothly, making being on The Fang a dream come true.

I’m grateful to Ms. Grinnell for fueling my passion for journalism early on, and Mrs. Macias for nurturing my love for writing and making it flourish. Thank you, especially for the dedication and resilience you put into the newspaper. I don’t think I could ask for better teachers.  Ever since your first day, you have shown us how much the newspaper means to you. Being in your class has been such a blessing and it’s inspired me to be part of the newspaper at Stephen F. Austin as well. 

As this chapter in my life comes to an end, a new one is just beginning. However, no matter how many years go by, I will always remember how special my newspaper class was. It’s been a dream working with everyone and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. See you later, Wildcats.