The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

Keke Brewer Hurdles into Southeastern Oklahoma State University

Keke Brewer, 12, has been dedicated to the track and field team since freshman year. She is most known for serving in the 4×100 relays and 4×400 relays. On top of this, she also runs the 100 hurdles and the 300 hurdles, which is what led to Brewer winning a scholarship for her tremendous efforts in track and field.

The scholarship is full-ride from Southeastern Oklahoma State University (SOHO). Brewer received this the day before the Lady Wildcats took on the Richardson All-City Meet. 

For Brewer, receiving the scholarship was like a burden being lifted off her shoulders. As a first-generation college student, she has been concerned about the financial prospects of college. Many schools had been reaching out to Brewer with various offers, but SOHO took the cake. This eased her concerns for the future. It also proved how tenacious her time on the track and field has been.  

“I felt content (once receiving the scholarship) considering how hard I had worked on track, [and] being able to reach one of my goals that I never thought would be a reality. Being the first one in my family to attend college and knowing that I’m making my loved ones proud is one of the most wholesome and heartwarming feelings in the world,” Brewer mentioned. 

Track is not easy to receive a scholarship in, much less a full-ride scholarship. Coaches observing the running teams have particular standards and times that led to scholarships. However, Brewer achieved the unimaginable. 

Alonna Miller, the Girls’ Athletic Director and Head Track Coach, admires Brewer’s dedication to the Lady Wildcats. 

“I am so beyond proud of Keke for her opportunity to run for Southeastern Oklahoma State University next fall. I have no doubt she will continue the success that she has started here at LHHS and have even more at the next level. She deserves this scholarship and I wish her nothing but the best,” Miller emphasizes. 

SOHO is considered part of Division II, an intermediate-level division of competition in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Nearly 300 colleges are involved in this program where student-athletes can strive to meet their academic and athletic goals in their respective courses. 

Brewer hopes being part of a Division II school will prepare her for transferring over to a Division I college in the future such as the Big 12. 

Brewer has thoroughly enjoyed her time being a Lady Wildcat. Being part of the track and field team has allowed her to form new friendships, consistently pushing herself to be better, and being able to run at Jesuit each year. Every meet was filled with laughter and fun (not to mention free food). Brewer fondly looks back on these times. 

“It’s been a long hard four years, leaving blood, sweat, and tears on the track where we practice everyday. I’m grateful for the opportunity I was given which turned into even more opportunities for my future. It was an honor getting to run as a Lake Highlands Lady Wildcat,” Brewer concludes.