The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

Lights, Camera, …Race!

Lights, Camera, …Race!

A short film team of eight LHHS students took home Best Overall Film in the recent RISD 48 Hour Film Race. Six teams across the district competed in a fun-filled, sleep-depriving, and cinematically-amazing competition to try and create the best short film possible.

One of the two LHHS teams competing, named Goated, did just that. Spearheaded by director and senior Caroline Davis, Goated and their film, Pop, took home not only Best Overall Film, but also Best Screenplay by Caroline Davis and Best Editing by junior Nathan Macy.

“I’m very thankful for my amazing, hard-working crew. This experience would not have been what it was if I didn’t have them in my toolbox. I’m grateful for all the relationships that were made and strengthened throughout the whole film process,” director Davis said about her time in the race.

Additionally, Angel Aguilar from the other LHHS team won Best Male Actor for his perfectly hilarious role as “Ski Mask Man” in their film, The Heist.

“You don’t know commitment until you have to wear flip flops in 20 degree weather for four hours straight,” he commented about his experience.

The six competing teams of eight RISD students were tasked with creating a 3-5 minute short film having to include the following requirements:

• Setting: Gas Station
  • Props: Lollipop, Spatula
  • Shots: POV, Low Angle Tracking Shot
  • Movie Line: “I myself am strange and unusual.”
  • Song Lyric: “When it’s hot like this, you know what I do? I put my undies in the ice box.”

I myself was lucky enough to be a part of this project along with my cast and crew mates, so I want to give a massive shoutout to Caroline Davis, Alli Truscott, Munachi Etunwaoko, Waylon McNamara, Charlie Young, Nathan Macy, and Megan Jones for all their joy and hard work.

You can watch the winning film below:

https://youtu.be/wAjSpJMQcVI?si=vdDw3rZS-rZSVedr