The Lake Highlands High School Student Newspaper

The Fang

The Fang

The Fang

Student By Day, Barber By Night: Irvin Morales Nambo

At only 15 years old, Irvin Morales Nambo began pursuing his dream of becoming a barber; he is now a Lake Highlands High School senior. Since then, Nambo has assembled a thriving client base while learning new techniques and managing school life. 

The prospect of working for himself piqued Nambo’s interest in working as a barber. 

“I love having the freedom to make my schedule and decisions,” he states. 

Nambo has several Wildcat clients and has impacted all of them, not just for his cuts but also for how he treats his customers respectfully. 

“Irvin is a great guy,” Devon Jacobs, 12, mentions. “He communicates with you and carries a conversation. Whenever he cuts my hair, we discuss things like life and the future.”

When Nambo isn’t cutting hair, he’s learning new techniques to improve his skills. He hopes to take classes to learn how to braid and twist.

The one-on-one time with clients to reconnect makes being a barber so rewarding. When Nambo’s clients sit in the chair, he puts his heart and soul into the work. 

“Nambo is very persistent,” James Ward, 12, notes. “His cuts are always clean and precise. I first discovered Irvin’s work when he approached me in class and showed me some of his work. I later chose to show up [to the barber shop] and get my hair cut.”

Nambo hopes to get an official license to work professionally as a barber. Currently, Nambo is working to complete his apprenticeship. In the upcoming weeks, he will take a written test and a practical exam to gain a Class A Barber license in Texas. Nambo must complete 1500 hours of barber training.  Despite all the specific requirements he must meet, Nambo is working hard to achieve his dream. 

“It feels nice to know that I’m going to become a full professional,” he says.

Many of Nambo’s clients highly recommend his work and will continue to see him.

“Irvin is a great person,” Jacobs concludes. “He cuts hair well, and his barber services are worth it. He’s worth the money.”

For those wishing to check out Nambo’s work, his Instagram is @Lanefadez.